photos in this post courtesy of An Unrefined Vegan
Moroccan Lentil Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ heaped teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon dried ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4–6 cups vegetable broth (I used 4 in the pictured recipe, but sometimes increase it for a less stew like soup)
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes (1/2 a jar of bottled or 2-3 large fresh tomatoes are always better if you have them)
- 1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of half a fresh lemon
In a large soup pot, sauté the onion, carrot, and garlic in the olive oil. Add seasonings (coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, salt, pepper) when onion is translucent and sauté for a few minutes more.
Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, and lentils and simmer on stove-top for 30 minutes in large saucepan or in a small crock-pot on low for 6–8 hours.
For texture variation you can pulse it a few times with a stick blender.
Add lemon, parsley, and cilantro just before serving. For extra brightness, squeeze an additional slice of lemon over each bowl.
- See more at: http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/vegan-moroccan-lentil-soup-recipe/#sthash.WpQmpFhE.dpuf
Greek Pasta with Tomatoes and White Beans
1 (19 ounce) can cannellini
beans, drained and rinsed
10 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped
8 ounces penne pasta
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes and beans in a large non-stick skillet. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add spinach to the sauce; cook for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly.
- Serve sauce over pasta, and sprinkle with feta.
2 medium yellow squash, cut lenth wise
2 medium zucchini, cut lenght wise
6 portabella mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons dried rosemary leaves, crushed
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 cup light mayonnaise
1 Mix vinegar, oil and rosemary together and set aside.
2 Mix pressed garlic in with mayonnaise, set aside.
3 Cut bread in half cross wise then length wise, set aside.
4 On a preheated grill, place vegetables on grill and cook uncovered for 12-16 minuites or until tender, basting with vinegar mixture several times throughout cooking.
5 Set cooked veggies aside.
6 Take sliced bread and place cut side down on grill and toast.
7 Spread mayonnaise and garlic mixture on sliced bread.
8 Assemble sandwiches by layering first with cheese then layering with veggies on top.
9 Top it off with top side of bread.
10 NOTE: You can marinate the veggies in the vinegar for 15 minuites for even tastier veggies.
11 You can place some aluminum foil over the grill when grilling if you like, to keep veggies from falling through, but I don't ever have a problem with them falling through.